Sunday, September 11, 2005

Kepler's Bookstore is Dead, Long Live the Independent Bookstore (maybe even Kepler's)

Kepler's Booksellers was a great bookstore near the Stanford campus in Menlo Park. It was a great place to browse books, grab a cup of coffee, people watch, all the things I love to do in bookstores. Now Kepler's is closing, although there is a campaign to Save Kepler's. The effort is partially inspired by Kepler's rich history I never knew about.

Kepler's will come back, or not, but I think this is a wakeup to support your
local bookseller. BookPeople in Austin is fanstastic, both the downtown monster store
and the Bergstrom Airport branch. (I lover how ABIA stocked the airport with local flavor in the restaurants, bookstore, music, etc.) If you need an excuse, Neil Gaiman in Austin at Bookpeople this month.

Powell's, in Portland, is also wonderful, both the physical store and the online presence. I should also check out Cody's Books next time I'm in Bezerkeley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home