Sunday, September 18, 2005

Ich bin ein Hoosier

I'm about halfway home, in Terre Haute, Indiana. My only impression of Terre Haute is an apocalyptic scene from King's "The Stand". My only real impressions of Indiana are sports cliches from Hoosiers and the University of South Bend. Oh and that Gary, IN is an awful place to be a radiology tech. But an interstate hotel is an interstate hotel and this one has wifi.
I'm on my way back from Washington by way of New York. I visited friends in Rochester, which is really a pretty city, at least in the summer... After that stop, I proceeded to Ellicottville, an hour south of Buffalo, for COSIT.
COSIT was an interesting conference, on GIS and spatial cognition. It had about 100 people, so you could talk to almost everyone over the 4.5 days. The isolation in BFE, NY helped too, so everyone went out to dinner together. Best of all, the folks there really liked my research.
I listened to a lot of German this week, and spoke a but. The COSIT community is really dominated by Deutsch. Even the Aussies are really Germans or Austrians (except for the Brit). Maybe that's why everyone confuses Austria and Australia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home